Armadale Primary School was established in 1899 and many present residents of the Armadale district received their primary education at this school.
The original school buildings were located at the corner of Third Road and Church Avenue.
Dates of Interest
1910 Enrolment of 300 students.
1922 “Central” school classification so students could remain in the Armadale area until the age of 16 rather than go into the city to Perth Boys or Perth Girls Schools.
1946 First private bus service.
1953 Change of status to Armadale Junior High School (3 year period).
1956 Armadale High School opened on South West Highway.
1958 Special Education Unit set up in a spare classroom.
1959 Kindergarten officially opened at 40 Williams Road.
1970 School Canteen opened.
1971 Enrolment of 920 students while Neerigen Brook School was being constructed. Subsequently three other primary schools were opened; Challis, Forrestdale and Gwynne Park. Student numbers steadily declined until recently.
1975 Title of Headmaster changed to Principal.
1986 New school site selected.
1987 Original brick classroom lifted, transported and relocated to museum complex in Minnawarra Park.
September 7 “End of an Era” school reunion with over 1500 in attendance. Commemorative booklet published.
Term 4 commenced at the current site on Tuesday 12 October.
The locomotive bell from the old school was relocated to the belfry and a time capsule was enclosed within the base. The belfry is situated adjacent to the covered assembly area.
Old school buildings demolished to make way for shopping centre extensions
1988 New school officially opened by Minister for Education on Saturday 26 November.
1995 Students and staff evacuated, February 14, due to adjacent bush fire.
1997 Armadale Education District (32 schools) amalgamated with two other south of the river districts to form the Cannington Education District.
1998 Full time Pre Primary commenced.
1999 School Centenary celebrated on Saturday 20 October.
2002 Kindergarten commenced.